Friday, March 2, 2007

What's all the fuss about? 2007 Newbery Winner challenged!

This year's "most distinguished book for children", The Higher Power of Lucky, by Susan Patron, has come under recent fire from school personnel for its use of the word "scrotum" ....

Read the AASL/ALSC joint statement on the book’s true value, and author Susan Patron’s latest observations in the Los Angeles Times....
'Scrotum' as a children's literary tool
:
Children's books often tenderly introduce kids to sensitive adult-world realities, says the author of a controversial, prize-winning book.

I read, and LOVED, this book, and would highly recommend it ....

What do YOU think about the controversy, and about censorship in general?


Your local (public) Children's Librarian and ALA member,
Lisa Stratton

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm...Let's see...Censorship...Well, I think it's a good thing, but sometimes the government goes overboard. Like censoring the word "God" in songs like I Write Sins Not Tragedies by Panic! At The Disco. I love that song, and I know there are a few swears in it, but along with that they sensor "God" and not the swear after it...I always found that odd, but whatever...

Anonymous said...

I consider myself quite conservative, but I'm not a big fan of literary censorship. It's important to be sensitive toward others, but if you find a book offensive, all you have to do is shut it, and it can't offend you any more. I'll have to read this new Newberry Award winner before I pass judgement on it. Context is important.